a short video about inlaying

here you can discuss almost anything you like...you tell us. Alcohol will be served if you promise to behave ;-)

a short video about inlaying

Postby Christoph K » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:54 am

Since I did not stumble upon it already here, I'd like to share it :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWX7-2e3vak

This one was an eye opener to me ;-)
Christoph K

Re: a short video about inlaying

Postby Albert R » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:30 am

Christoph,
I always find these fascinating. Since I do not speak the language I focus on the actions and seem to learn far more.
Always interested in what is hanging on the walls, sometimes you see the darnedest things!
Albert
Albert R

Postby jhobson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:54 am

I'd like to see the underside of the flower - is it solid?

In case people haven't had the opportunity to go on one of Ford's classes, note he scribes and raises a bit of the outline and then uses this to reference the inlay against before he scribes the rest of the outline.
He goes straight in with the ant-pusher raising chisel (bottom left in photo). Ford advises beginners to consider going around just inside the scribe line with a v chisel to define where to set the raising chisel. I think the vid skips hollowing out with safety chisel and gouges which is before the flattening and scraping.
Attachments
chisels.jpg
chisels.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 184 times
jhobson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Mac » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:55 am

I'm not sure if the flowers are solid or not. They have the look of uchidashi and the ground on the pot still seems quite curved in the bottom of the seat. But, it's possible the flowers are just domed , heavy sheet.
I tend to plunge cut the raised edge before cutting out the rebate, I can check the fit of the inlay against this 'bur' before I hack out the ground. Just my approach.
Mac

Postby Ford » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:23 am

Don't know how I missed this before...

This technique is a bit different from regular inlay. The flowers are in fact hollow forms made by uchidashi. The lip is raised as usual but the ground is punched back as it's only a thin walled vessel (1.2mm thick typically)
This is not a vary secure technique nor is it seem much in antique work. When it is found on Meijo period export work you often find a post was soldered to the underside of the piece and that has been passed through the vessel wall to lock it in place.
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Christoph K » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 am

:)
I just noticed that i didn't mention what the eye opening part was for me.
At this time i had massive problems with adjusting the lips to the inlaid piece. Doing this bit by bit was the key for me. The second thing was how he fixed the position of the inlaid piece with the ring finger :).
Christoph K

Return to The Chat Room