Guess What

here you can discuss almost anything you like...you tell us. Alcohol will be served if you promise to behave ;-)

Guess What

Postby fkvesic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm

I had for Christmas. (This one's for any players around here.):
Attachments
1.gif
1.gif (6.78 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Last edited by fkvesic on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Guess What

Postby fkvesic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 pm

I've also been doing this and have nearly finished a name day/christening robe and accessories. (This one's really for Debbie K.):
Attachments
shetst3.JPG
shetst3.JPG (70.94 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
shetst2.JPG
shetst2.JPG (54.62 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
shetst1.JPG
shetst1.JPG (56.32 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Last edited by fkvesic on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby fkvesic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 pm

And have been making these. (This one's for any cheese afficionados on the board.):
Attachments
chesch2.JPG
chesch2.JPG (34.64 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Ple2.JPG
Ple2.JPG (28.77 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
mixed cheeses.jpg
mixed cheeses.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Last edited by fkvesic on Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby fkvesic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:32 pm

... which all adds up to not producing any finished netsuke. Yeah, I know: I've been nagging myself.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Ford » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:16 pm

ooh...I'm a friend of Cheesus :cloud9: ;)

Amazing lace work, Freda :clap: Is this a commission or a labour of love? I can't imagine making something that time-consuming and exacting can be cost effective....can it? I know, I know, I can't talk ;) :smartass:

As for what you got for Christmas, a harp?...a years supply of Guinness :cheerleader:
guinness.jpg
guinness.jpg (17.37 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fkvesic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I was given the drinkless variety, Ford. I'd wanted a lever harp for years, so was given a 30-string starter one and can't leave it alone. And I've already seen and heard the one I want to move up to - a 36-string, gut-strung one! Come the summer and more practice, we'll see. I did think about building one, looked at some plans, realised I needed a designated workshop and decided not to. But the Edinburgh International Harp Festival's at the end of March and the maker of the one I'd like will be showing his wares there...

Making Shetland lace is about as time-consuming as carving netsuke and this one was pretty uncomplicated, given that there was no shaping to do, and was not of the finest ply Shetland wool, but the next size up. Even so, a stole this size, roughly 5' x 22" would cost way above £700. Finer work, like the robe I've designed and am making, would cost much, much more. No, it isn't cost effective. I made this for a friend's birthday.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Sage » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:30 pm

That stole is absolutely gorgeous Freda. Thanks for sharing your latest projects :) I hope we'll get to see the robe too, once it's ready.
Sage MacGillivray

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." ~George Bernard Shaw
Sage

Postby fkvesic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Many thanks, Sage. The stole was from an old 1930s pattern I have, but I adapted some of the motifs and put a lacier insert between the scalloped border and the centre. I'll put up a pic. of the robe when it's finished.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Debbie K » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Freda:

Thanks so much for letting me see the finished product. What a beautiful stole; can you pull it through a ring? Do many people appreciate how much work a piece like this represents? I hope the person receiving it understands and honors it.

That cheese looks delicious! I want some. I thought about making cheese, but the doctor says I'm lactose intolerant, so I've kind of given up on the idea, also procuring rennet was next to impossible until a few years ago (thank you, internet!). I've been making my husband whole wheat bread which I can't eat (gluten intolerant too, truly life is almost not worth living) so that's been the extent of my culinary creativity lately.

I'll be very interested in seeing the robe also, when it is done. Thank you again for sharing this with us.

Debbie K
Debbie K

Postby Julio » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Congratulations Freda on all accounts.

I'm too a harp lover, believer of Cheesus (like Ford) and can very much appreciate the lace.

Have you got a dedicated area to mature your cheeses? Which types did you make?

Regards

J
One cannot develop taste from what is of average quality but only from the very best.
- Goethe
Julio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Clive » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Lovely Lace Freda.. and the cheeses look very tasty too. Something I've always wanted to try to make myself.

:Peace:
Clive

Postby fkvesic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:09 pm

I thought you'd be giving me a hard time, Clive, seeing as how these eat into netsuke space. That's my guilty conscience at work.

Cheeses aren't difficult to make, Julio, provided you've access to raw milk, which is banned in Scotland, and which was easier to buy when I was in England. I have to make do with supermarket rubbish, then doctor it to make it reasonably fit for cheese, which is often a bit hit-and-miss. Types I make? All types of cheddars, some blues, some washed cheeses like Reblochon and the Pont l'Eveque above (the square one), Gouda/Swiss types, fresh and lactic cheeses and feta types. It's impossible to get sheep's milk in Glasgow, so I use mainly cows' and some goats' milk.

I don't have a dedicated space, so use enclosed boxes in the fridge and outside storage in winter - a question of ripening temperatures. In summer, I usually give up and ripen cheddar types at ambient temperatures; they ripen faster, but lose something of a long aging taste. I wouldn't say my methods/supplies produce championship cheeses, but they're usually edible and occasionally more than OK. At least, they all seem to get eaten. Using supermarket cow's milk, they're also cheaper to produce than even the most rubbishy supermarket cheese.

Hi, Debbie. No, this stole won't pull through a ring as it's not of the finest wool. The robe wool would, if it were a straight knit, but won't as a robe due to sleeves, seams, buttons and things. It's really only the finest gossamer shawls that will go through a ring. I have a Estonian one that a friend bought me years ago and that does go through my wedding ring; the thickess of the wool is about the same as the robe I'm making.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Wayne T » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:20 pm

Great work Freda, the lace work is beautiful and reminds me of the one my grandmother made for my children :clap: :clap:

As for the great looking cheese, I've got the crackers and red wine and I'll be around shortly :smartass: :biggrin:
"What you already know is merely a good departure point!"
Wayne T
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Phil White » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:14 am

Cheese and rice! Lovely work, Freda! The lace is very impressive. I gave always wanted to carve a lace cravat, in the style of Gibbons. I would love to do some of the cheeses, but I would get all cheeses out after a while.
Phil White

Postby fkvesic » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Many thanks, people. Was your grandmother of Scottish descent, Wayne, if she knitted a similar lace shawl? I have heard that the Shetland tradition was carried on in hidden pockets of N.Z., Australia and Canada.

Carving lace, Phil, must be about as difficult as producing the original. (There are some wonderful photos of Chatsworth on the first site, including quite a few sculptures.) G.G. himself:

http://www.pbase.com/seebee/image/62366627
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsite ... img_id=258

Glad you both like cheese.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to The Chat Room