Biltong, where is the Biltong!

here you can discuss almost anything you like...you tell us. Alcohol will be served if you promise to behave ;-)

Re: Biltong, where is the Biltong!

Postby fkvesic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Then there are the European versions: viande séchée (France); viande des Grisons (Switzerland; bresaola (Italy). There's a German version, too, but I can't remember its name. Love the stuff.

Got it! German- Bündnerfleisch.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Phil White » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:32 pm

There is a butcher shop here that makes their own in-ouse version. It looks tasty, but looks are deceiving. I found it quite bland, and I usually like this sort of thing.

Does anyone have a good recipie for it??
Phil White

Postby Jamie F » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 am

Ford wrote:Holy Mother of God!!! :shock: and I will have to endure this sort of thing for 2 weeks :rolleyes:

And I'll be a paying customer too, so you'll have to be nice to me :biggrin:

Maybe if you brought some of AUTHENTIC stuff along from SA it might keep me quiet? Nom nom! Otherwise we could find ourselves chewing the fat for days :rolleyes:

(Stop me, someone!)

Me, I prefer it with a nice tasty "Dunkel"-style dark beer. Our local brews their own and it goes down a treat!
"Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.” John A. Morrison
Jamie F

Postby Ford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:58 am

And I'll be a paying customer too, so you'll have to be nice to me

ha ha ha :scream:

You haven't heard then? I don't do 'nice'...it's bad for you :naughty:

Can't actually bring biltong with me, I'm afraid, it's a meat product so... :(
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mark D » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am

Devil's Advocate----
I've tasted biltong in Cape Town, Jo'berg, Zimbabwe and even Somerset, made from bush meat, Kudu etc, even good British beef.
To me they all resemble string dipped in Bovril.

OK I'll get my coat

Mark :hiding:
Mark D

Postby Ford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 am

Mark,

too much scrumpy will make most things taste like string dipped in bovril ;)
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Doug Sanders » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Probably needed the cider to wash down that old dried meat :naughty:
Doug Sanders

Postby fkvesic » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi Phil, I don't have a recipe for biltong, but do have one for viande séchée, which I've tried once, The result was fine, but is such a hassle I've not bothered since.

The big muscle from the top of the leg, or silverside, trimmed of all surface fat and skin, though any top leg cut can be used, really; you can use a fatty cut, or a lean cut. Dry cure for 2 kilos meat weight: 150g of sea salt, 100 g brown sugar, 10g black ground peppercorns, 12 ground juniper berries, 6 ground cloves, I level dstsp fresh, chopped rosemary, zest of one lemon. Optional is 5g saltpetre or Prague powder (if you want the meat really pink in the middle). Save half the cure in a screwtop jar.

Rub the rest into the meat, put in an airtight container and put into the fridge for a week turning daily and pouring off the liquid at the end of the week. After a week, dry the meat with paper towels, rub in the rest of the cure and put the container back into the fridge for another week, repeating the turning and draining process.

Then pat the meat dry and tie it with a series of horizontal butcher's ties, using string. Fasten two vertical ties around the meat to these and wrap in two layers of fine muslin or cheesecloth.

Hang in a cool, moist place for three to four weeks (the special box or cardboard box with flow holes mentioned above will do). Make sure there's an airflow. It can be hung for longer if you like the meat drier. I hung mine on the kitchen curtain rail near the window. It should have lost at least 40% of its weight.

Winter is the best time to make this. It often develops what the French call a noble mould. Don't worry about this, just wipe most of it off with a cloth dipped in vinegar or lemon juice at the end of hanging time.

It needs to be sliced very thinly before being served. Once cut, wrap the uncut piece in cling film and keep in the fridge. Some people also press the meat into an oblong shape as it's marinading and hanging and if you like a close-grained texture. I didn't bother and it seemed ok.
Last edited by fkvesic on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Phil White » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks Freda!
Phil White

Postby Ford » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm

if it doesn't have coriander seeds in it it's not biltong. :naughty:

and many modern recipes include vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. The vinegar may be traditional but the Wossie is obviously a new addition. One that demonstrates the superiority of British taste. :cloud9:

and biltong should never be pink in the middle. :?
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fkvesic » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm

and biltong should never be pink in the middle

That's because biltong strips are much thinner, I think. VS meat is a lot thicker, up to about 4". As for coriander seeds, you can vary the spice mix according to taste, I shouldn't wonder. I used my mother's spice recipe for salt beef as the traditional VS recipe only uses juniper and rosemary and doesn't use saltpetre at all.

The lighter kind:

http://fougasse.cuisineblog.fr/26000/Viande-sechee/

The matured, drier kind:

http://katycuisine.canalblog.com/archiv ... 06028.html

And a French recipe:

http://univers-libre.net/posts/viande-sechee.html

And a biltong recipe:

http://www.biltongbox.com/biltong.html
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Jamie F » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Ford wrote:Can't actually bring biltong with me, I'm afraid, it's a meat product so... :(

Bugger - was looking forward to a side-by-side bench-test of the different beasts :crybaby: Probably for the best we can't bring the home-cured stuff though... Kiwis dry down to such a small mouthful that it's very hard to share :eat:

Looking at USFDA website though, looks like beef imports from NZ might be OK, as long as it's commercially packaged (no Foot-and-Mouth here!) The local Biltong comes in three different "wetness-es" - from SuperBovril-flavoured string (that no amount of flossing will remove) to melt-in-the-mouth-spicy/savoury goodness :firecracker: :firecracker:

It'll send the sniffer-dogs at LAX mental :sneaky:

@Albert! If you're still out there, do you want to act as our crash-test-bunny and impartial judge in the matter? Send us an address (and texture-preference) and we'll see if we can get some through to you! :gift:

And the nice? Oooh, I fully expect to be properly punished for my multitudinous crimes against the art of tosogu :sneaky2:
Last edited by Jamie F on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.” John A. Morrison
Jamie F

Postby Phil White » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:07 pm

The coriander sounds like a nice addition, as does the WS. Any hot spices? I suppose one could add to taste.
Phil White

Postby fkvesic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Any hot spices? I suppose one could add to taste.

I would think, Phil, the spices are variable to suit all tastes, unless you really want to replicate the traditional versions of both VS and biltong.
fkvesic
Sponsor
Sponsor

Previous

Return to The Chat Room