Crowdfunding campaigns

here you can discuss almost anything you like...you tell us. Alcohol will be served if you promise to behave ;-)

Crowdfunding campaigns

Postby Tiaan Burger » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I have seen some crowdfunding campaigns that were so stupendous in their stupidity that it put me off trying to go that route. Two that comes to mind are the tamahagane watch and the tsuba rubber mould projects.

But, having reached a point of complete and utter frustration with my eyes that migrated to the far side I decided to follow the route of crowdfunding to buy a stereo microscope. Since we are all basically on the same path or in the same boat (except for the ones who are in the ark that contained the dinosaurs ;) ) I would like to get your feedback and ideas on my campaign.

Tiaan van Niekerk suggested adding a couple of carved pendants as perks, and I have been toying with the idea of discount vouchers.

Please take a look and if you have any ideas on how to improve let me know.
http://igg.me/p/693616/x/6492187
Tiaan Burger

Re: Crowdfunding campaigns

Postby Dan Morrison » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 am

The advice below is about appealing to the masses, people who may not be familiar with your work.. if you intend for this to be funded by those who are close to you, you can ignore my advice!

Your success will all depend on social media marketing.

First, bring traffic to the page, make a reddit account, and post this here, http://www.reddit.com/r/knives

Post this on every forum you frequent, your blog, your website, everywhere. Consider submitting your work to artist and product blogs.

Second, you have to realize that unless you grab someones attention in like..3 seconds... they will move on. Internet browsers have insanely short attention spans. It's sad to say this, but not many people are going to sit through more than 10 seconds of that video of yours. You should replace it with a video that showcases your final pieces clearly and quickly, a slideshow style video made from photographs could work just fine, ideally with an audio track of you talking about yourself very briefly, why you need funding, what you can achieve with it, and saying thanks. Very brief.

Take a close look at other successful crowdfunded campaigns, analyse what made them successful.

I'm also not sure how Indie Go Go is setup, but if there was a way to have photographs of your work come up right away, without having to click on that tab (which most people won't know about, and won't read far enough to discover) then you should definitely do that. Also, clearly link your website.

You have so many great photographs on your facebook page, but I see non of that work here, that is your main issue. I can't stress this enough.

You really need to focus on showing people your work as quickly as possible, once they are interested in that, THEN they will read further.

Also, the thumbnail for this campaign is a badly cropped, mostly white, photograph of a microscope.. peoples eyes will skip this on a page. And the title of the campaign, while somewhat emotionally grabbing, isn't at all reflective of your artwork. I'm not sure if this can be changed, but, consider something that tells people what you do!

Again, this is to appeal to the majority. Good luck!
Dan Morrison

Postby Tiaan Burger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Thank you Dan! :thanx:

I have compiled a short clip consisting of a series of images of my work and uploaded it. I will go through your post again and make sure everything is in place.

Tiaan
Tiaan Burger

Postby Dan Morrison » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 am

This is much better in my opinion! Instantly I know exactly what this is all about. Nicely done!

I will spread the word!
Dan Morrison

Postby Tiaan Burger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:18 pm

I fetched my microscope from the dealer today. :biggrin: After spending the afternoon setting it up and getting to know the controls I did a bit of work on this folder handle. I immediately realised that I will have to make smaller chisels.
The "back" side is now almost done, detailing the hair would have been impossible without the microscope.

My thanks to everyone who supported my Indiegogo campaign. And a very special thank you to you, Dan, without your advice it would not have been a success. :thanx:

Tiaan Burger

Postby Dan Morrison » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Congrats on getting the new scope!! I'm glad I could put my years of obsessive internet browsing to good use for once, haha.
Dan Morrison

Return to The Chat Room