Tsuba opinions please

here you can discuss almost anything you like...you tell us. Alcohol will be served if you promise to behave ;-)

Tsuba opinions please

Postby Robert H2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Hello everyone,
I saw this tsuba on Ebay a while back and it spoke to me in some way. I like the lines of texture and pierced sakura blossom, as well as the raised lip. It is obviously not in the best condition due to rust and decay,. I just wanted to get an idea of what others here thought of it. I guess I really want to know if my taste is running in the right direction, if that makes sense. I see 7 people watching on Ebay and I think, "it's not just me," but they have been watching for a while... I saved an image, thinking I might make a katana sized copy. Here is a pic and a link to the sale.
Robert Housley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDO-PERIOD-JAPA ... 1219473079?
Attachments
edo tsuba.jpg
edo tsuba.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Robert H2

Re: Tsuba opinions please

Postby Ford » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:24 am

Hi Robert

I don't think this is a bad little example. As you say, it needs a little care to improve it's appearance though. The price is fair for what it is.

I don't know why the seller calls it Umetada, it would appear to be a fairly typical Tosho style work. I'd suggest mid Edo period.
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tsuba opinions please

Postby Robert H2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Ford,
Thanks for your reply. I did have a question though; Do you think the hole in the center of the open work was made with a bow type drill, or was it just punched through? I ask because it seems like a small piercing...
Robert H.
Robert H2

Return to The Chat Room