Wooly Rhino Horn

Wooly Rhino Horn

Postby Damien W » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:17 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to show what came in the mail today after a few nervous weeks of waiting :)
A small, but reasonably solid piece of wooly rhinoceros horn (or at least i was told it was wooly rhino horn when i bought it...if anyone has any other opinions i'd appreciate your input).

Its about 11-13mm thick by 35mm wide by 70mm long.
I've only very partially smoothed down one side to see what it looks like, but thus far its looking quite nice :)

Sorry in advance for the crappy iphone pics

Damien W

Re: Wooly Rhino Horn

Postby Damien W » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:45 am

Annnnnd here's what the other side of it looks like when its smoothed down a bit more :)
Unfortunately it has a few voidy bits that i can't file away without going too deep, as i need to preserve a little over 5.5mm of thickness for its final use as inlay material, and currently its at 7-8mm thick.

As i need the two finished pieces cut from it to be 2mm thick, i'm wondering whether there's a way of making sure everything stays together?
Could you somehows stabilize it? ....possibly drowning it in super glue?

Last edited by Damien W on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien W

Postby Mac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:41 am

I can't condone the killing of a wooly rhinoceros. ;)

Says the man with a draw full of sperm whale teeth. :shock:
Mac

Postby Damien W » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 am

Mac wrote:I can't condone the killing of a wooly rhinoceros. ;)

Says the man with a draw full of sperm whale teeth. :shock:

My God! A drawer full! Why...don't you know that in this day and age, looking at, much less using any sort of ivory is the same as going out and harpooning/shooting the beast yourself?! :naughty:

...Says the boy with a box full of hippo, elephant and mammoth ivory offcuts and scrap blocks... :biggrin:
Damien W

Postby Mac » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:38 pm

In my defense, a fair bit of my ongoing 'trade' work is for idigenous peoples. They acquire these things, teeth and bones etc. as 'customary right' . The don't trade them or sell them , they just provide them to me for specific jobs they have commissioned, so I could say , " the local indigenous people have a draw full of sperm whale teeth ( that just happens to reside in my workshop )" :biggrin:

What will you use "Mr. Wooly " for ?
Mac

Postby Damien W » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 pm

I like the way ya think :clap:

I'm not sure as of yet what i'll use it for, but i'm considering having a friend of mine use part of it as infills in a new sliding bevel for me.
If i go down that route i'll still have enough left for some small carvings or inlays, but at this point nothing's set in stone...
Damien W

Postby Damien W » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Howdy y'all,
Thought some of you might be interested in a minor update on this thread.
I've opted to go ahead with commissioning a friend of mine to make a rather special sliding bevel for me infilled with my end grain rhino horn, although as part of the deal i have to prepare the infill material for him.

It saws surprisingly easy and has (so far at least) managed to stay mostly in one piece after having been cut to an average thickness of 2mm with a jewelers saw.
I'm hoping that once i've finished sanding all the sides square the joins will mostly disappear. Currently only the slices in the bottom row have been fitted perfectly, though they've not yet been brought down level.

Damien W

Return to Materials