Meet the admin team

Tell us a little about yourself and make yourself at home.

Meet the admin team

Postby Ford » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Ford Hallam

I'm 48 years old this year and have spent the last 30 years rather single mindedly pursuing the craft and art of fine metalwork. After a 5 years apprenticeship I qualified as a goldsmith in 1985. For the last 17 or so years I have worked exclusively in the classical Japanese tradition and at present am concentrating on my own, original, creative efforts. I am also slowly producing what I hope will become the seminal primer of this traditions metalwork techniques and processes.
"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." Odilon Redon
my website
Ford
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Meet the admin team

Postby Clive » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Clive Hallam,

I'm 44 this year and have been a Netsuke-shi for the last 20 years. Before that I studied Fine Art at Cape Town University paying particular attention on the teachings of Paul Klee. Most of my creative output reflects my deep love and concern for the natural world. My other passions in life are my partner Kate, Fly-fishing, entomology, ornithology, poker and cooking.
Clive

Postby Leon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Leon Mommersteeg,

I studied Graphic Design in The Netherlands till 1984. As a freelance designer I worked mostly for museums and artists. I have a small publishing agency and I teach design.
I have a love for small scale carving in wood and other materials.
Although I made various carvings, netsuke and jewellery I'm here for design assistance and critique. Beware! I will not spare you!
Leon

Postby Karl Wunderlich » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Karl Wunderlich,

I am an artist and a goldsmith. My interests are variable depending on the mood and other factors.
Wunder-Page
My Blog

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo
Karl Wunderlich

Postby Patrick Hastings » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Patrick Hastings,

Born in 71. I have schooled in most types of welding and fabrication and basic ferrous metallurgy. I had 24 semesters of "metal shop" before I graduated high school. So my affliction with metal work started early... out of high school I worked and trained in a custom jewelery shop for a year. After that I spent years working in a Bronze studio learning most aspects of manufacturing Bronze sculpture (molding, casting, assembly, chaseing, and installation). I have been making swords and knives and other edge weapons as a hobby and part time business since I was 13. For the past 10 years I have worked full time making Metal sword fittings (tosogu) for Japanese styled swords and daggers. I am currently studying Classical Japanese metal work among other things.
Patrick Hastings

Postby Lorenzo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Lorenzo Amati

A bit late I reckon. Here I am, the youngster of the bunch. Born in 78, Italian, living in Italy. I've been interested in Japanese metalwork since my first visit to the Osafune sword museum in Japan (Okayama) and being taught the first basics by an habaki maker working there. I've then met Ford in South Africa and then attended the scuola orafa ambrosiana goldsmith's school in Milan at night.
My interests echoes Karl ones :clap: , plus studying higo fittings.
Taking risks is how we really find a more honest way of expressing ourselves in our work - FH
My website
Lorenzo

Return to Introductions...please.