Nunome Zogan

Re: Nunome Zogan

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 am

There isn't anything complicated about this. There isn't a 'right' or 'left' side. Work across the surface with a sharp, flat chisel leaning 20 deg. off vertical. Turn the piece about 60 degrees and do it again. Then a third time. You tilt the chisel so the resultant burr stands vertically. The surface should now look like fine cloth, hence the term 'Cloth inlay'. As for tagane geometry, I just use a symmetrically ground chisel with a very fine edge. In fact, I tend to hollow grind mine and put a slight flat edge on it with a diamond lap.
Mac

Postby Patrice » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks a lot I will try following your advices.
Patrice

Postby Albert R » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Mac,
I would venture to guess that a Tormek style machine would be useful in the hollow grind sharpening endeavor. It has a ten inch wheel and moves pretty slow as opposed to a standard grinder. But come to give it some thought, a similar approach to that of Japanese plane iron sharpening (ie: tapping out the edge) could be utilized... though I don't know if the material a chisel is made of might determine if that is possible.
I'm awaiting a deliver of W1 steel, 5/16th inch square and 5/16th by 3/8th. Anything smaller might be tough for me to hold onto!
Albert
Albert R

Postby Mac » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Mr. Albert,
I make these nonome chisels out of HSS. I've tried carbon steels but found I was constantly re-sharpening them
Mac

Previous

Return to Technique & Tutorials