Matashichi Hayashi Utsushi

For work in progess and finished pieces

Re: Matashichi Hayashi Utsushi

Postby Marcus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi Cam,
Looking at you last tsuba image, I'd say there is a few things that could be done with files alone. This is the point where I'd get out the needle files and start finessing the little things into line. The bottom of the hitsu ana for example. There's ever so slight ripple there that my eye is drawn to. The shape of the crescent moon also could use attention. Just these types of little details in the piece can make a huge difference in the final look. One thing I often do is turn the piece upside down and look at it that way. It changes the place your eyes tend to land after staring at a piece for days. :dizzy: I know that feeling well. ;)
It has helped me see little bits overlooked. Another thing is to use some masking tape to cover all of the piece except the bit you are working on. It helps train you to focus on one feature at a time. I am sure you are probably doing it but I also keep a large printed image or two of the original as constant reference at my bench.
Hope this helps and keep up the good work.
Also, typically you can just true up the sides an shape the chisel blanks down to dimensions you are after. The blanks I have from Dietrich are nice and there really isn't much to do other than a few strokes to clean them up and start shaping. I have had the same experience with Mike's as well. Good luck.
Cheers,
Marcus :biggrin:
Marcus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby cam_hardiman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey Marcus,

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of the masking tape and will certainly give it a go.

Chisels were ordered today. They will be a few weeks off, so I have plenty of time to keep filing this Tsuba.

Cam
cam_hardiman

Postby Steve » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks Marcus for those helpful tips. Filing a tsuba like this seems to involve endless amounts of filing, so your points will help me for sure.

I'm starting to round over the outside edges after truing up the overall shape. There are still some "fat" elements that need to be reduced, but I'll try to incorporate that at the same time as as I start to shape them - I don't want to remove too much metal too soon. I've also used a kebori chisel to delineate some of the detail as an aid to shaping them later. Progress will be slow, but that works best for me.
Attachments
IMG_2375 copy.jpg
Steve

Postby Marcus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Steve,
Glad to be of help. One other thing I'd add is a mistake often made at this point. Starting to shape things before getting all of the sukashi filed neatly to your template. Folks often want to rush in and start seeing some three dimension before the data lines are set. This causes lots of trouble later on... :dizzy:
Good luck!
Cheers,
Marcus :biggrin:
Marcus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby cam_hardiman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 am

Hi All,

A few more days have passed and a whole lot more filing and stone work. There are a few areas I don't like and can't really repair; thin stems is the main issue. It seems that the more you look at the piece, the less you like result, and photographs certainly don't lesson this. A collector friend of mine seems to like the end result a whole lot more than I do, so it is going to him as a gift.

The crescent moon still needs a little work and a lot more softening on all the edges, especially the outside rim. I'll work on these and then finish it off soon with some light texturing and patina. I really like the design of this Tsuba, so I will try a similar design for my next one. Perhaps my own even.

Cam

:pray1:

Tsuba 2.jpg
cam_hardiman

Postby Chris A » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:46 am

Cam, three areas I find jar thee eye immediately, compared to the original.
Tsuba 2 (1)a.jpg
Tsuba 2 (1)a.jpg (101.07 KiB) Viewed 305 times

more roundness in the rim? , just an opinion
'If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants' - Newton
Chris A
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby cam_hardiman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:22 am

Thanks Chris,

I'll get into these now. I agree with the rim being rounder. As the rim approaches the 3 o'clock positioning it's needs to be almost round.

Cam
cam_hardiman

Postby cam_hardiman » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:43 pm

I have finally finished the patina.

I pushed the shape of the crescent moon as much as I could, without sacrificing the shape of the seppa-dai.

Sorry about the terrible quality photographs. I really do have to get myself a good camera.

Cam

Tsuba 2.jpg
Hayashi Tsuba Final
cam_hardiman

Postby Jim J » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Perhaps, and I have no authority for this opinion, but if you ruined out the lower inside of the present moon to a more consistent radius it soul look better?
It appears to me that it curls up too much on the end.
I think it should be one radius, not a diminishing curve.
That would leave the seppa dai as it is?
Jim J

Postby Jim J » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Ach! RADIUSED not ruined.
Jim J

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Progress,...
Aug 29th after a salt bath:
IMG_2576 copy.jpg

Today (Sep 7th). It has been quite humid the last few days so I haven't had to enclose the tsuba in a humidity container, its just been hanging above my bench. The whitish powder must be crystal growth from the salts absorbing moisture. Once the rust gets more powdery and flaky I'll card it and then repeat until the surface has established a suitable depth.
Attachments
IMG_2586 copy.jpg
Steve

Postby Patrice » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 am

I was thinking to be wrong on my attempt, but it means I am right, you remove the previous rust till it gets a black color, and put to rust again?
I put over nitric acid drops on paper, enclosed in a large bottle, it makes like on your picture, then I put in boiling water, and clean the excess material, and put over acid again.
I did it twice on my steel tsuba, and thinking to be wrong because it's not a regular pattern, but if I do it more it will be ok.
Interesting.
Patrice

Postby Steve » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Patrice,

If you read through the threads under the "Colouring" heading, pertaining to patination on iron and steel, you will find a few methods to try. From what I could glean, pretty well any method you use will require a few repeats to achieve a uniform colour. Regardless, time, patience and careful monitoring are necessary to reach a satisfactory result.
Steve

Previous

Return to Show and tell