Greetings from France

Tell us a little about yourself and make yourself at home.

Greetings from France

Postby Pierre L » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Hello everyone, and thanks for all the useful posts you shared.

My name's Pierre, I'm French (so my English might be strange sometimes, I apologize in advance for any mistake I could do ;) )

Just turned 23 years old, I'm a beginner jeweler.

I started about 3 years ago doing some wire-wrapping out of scrap metal (copper wires & paper-clips) and beads or findings I could find in the trash.
For a while i've been practicing soldering using copper-phosphorus rods, but that was quite ugly then and I could not do any precise work. About one year ago I decided to buy silver solder, some jewelry tools, and joined a French jewelry forum to get some advice, and since then I think I've made some progress.

A while ago, I came uppon Ford's tsubas videos (Thanks again :) ). By the time I did not know much about Japan, and I was really amazed by the precision of the work, the colors and the composition. I was always trying to prevent my copper and my brass from oxidizing using varnishes, telling myself it would be much better if I could work on silver and gold, because those don't tarnish so fast... Japanese metalwork and patinas convinced me that there is beauty everywhere, in everything from the bud to the completely dried flower or leaf, and that instead of trying to prevent tarnishing, I could make use of it.

I've experimented a lot since then, tried making my own rokusho, made some shibuichi, spent hours looking at its beautiful color, watching it evolve, tried some patinas, made a small yamagane sheet a few weeks ago, and so on.

So today here I am, eager to learn more, and maybe share some of my experiments with you :)

I'm not really into chiseling yet, I tried a bit hand-push engraving but it was really hard, but i'm not giving up and hopefully someday i'll be able to carve something nice with the iron brush ;) I did a bit of "chasing & repoussé" though (strange thing is, even if those words are derived from French Chassé-Repoussé, we call it "ciselure" here and no-one knows about this other term, except the people who've read English articles about it).

Here are some photos of what I made this year :
DSC_0367.jpg
60% shibuichi ring, made for my sister who wanted to cosplay Miyazaki's Howl (from Howl's Moving Castle)
Patinated with a cold solution of rokusho+cupric sulfate
DSC_0367.jpg (62.26 KiB) Viewed 135 times

DSC_0364.jpg
DSC_0364.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 135 times

DSC_0368.jpg
Close-up : the red part is enameled copper (cooked enamel)
There are some blue spots I did not notice before taking the picture...

(I made a step-by-step album on my facebook page, but there are many photos, if you want to see it here it is, the photos are in much better quality : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... c86092ba67 )

DSC_0050res.jpg
Yellow brass, copper and enamel pendant

DSC_0052res.jpg

(Setp-by-step : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 679c12a039 )

DSC_0397.jpg
35% Shibuichi, some silver parts, amethyst and cubic zirconium

(Step-by-step : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 77db5295ff )

That's all I'm sharing about my work, but if you want to see more you can check the whole page. (There are lots of mistakes but hopefully I'll get better :) )

Have a nice day !
:thanx:
Pierre L

Re: Greetings from France

Postby Mac » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Hello, Mr. Pierre
Mac

Postby Dave R » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Welcome to the iron brush. :biggrin:
He was drawn into the spell of precise craftsmanship as another might be charmed by words or incantations. - Annie Proulx
Dave R
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Chris A » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:44 am

Welcome Pierre, interesting what you say about chasing repoussse and ciselure; bit like deuce and egalite in tennis scoring!
'If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants' - Newton
Chris A
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Bonjour Pierre. Nice work.
Steve

Postby Pierre L » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 am

Hello everyone and thank you for your welcoming messages :)
Pierre L

Return to Introductions...please.