Let's have a look at where you do your thing.

for the discussion of materials and tools, supplies and where to get or exchange them

Re: Let's have a look at where you do your thing.

Postby Michael C » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:03 pm

Now that I've actually finished the damn thing, I figure I should post a few pictures of my new bench.

All pieces for the frame are solid steel. The structural pieces are 1"x1" square stock, and the decorative bits inside the frames are either 1"x1/2" or 1"x3/8". Took quite a bit of time to forge out and curl up those large scrolls, the pieces were about 6' long before I curled them up :whew:

All the frame parts are held together with bolts that pass through the frames. If you look closely at the bottom you can see the bolts I placed to keep the whole thing off the floor. As you can see, this is not the most uniform surface in the world, so to anticipate issues with leveling the bench out, I drilled out four holes and welded a few nuts on the bottom of the two end frames. A bolt in each can be adjusted to tip the whole bench in whichever way is necessary to compensate for the wonky floor. Once all the fabrication was done, I applied a dark wax to the surface and gave it a quick rubdown with a towel to sheen it up a bit.

The bench top is a big butcher's block-style slab (made from birch, if I remember correctly) that I purchased from a woodworking supply store, dimensions are 60"Lx25"Wx2"H. It is secured to the rest of the bench with screws that pass through tabs which were welded in several places along the top of the frame parts. The cutout was done with a handheld jigsaw, and after a little attention with a drum sander and a router to take down the seriously sharp corners, I gave the entire surface a sanding up to 220 grit and finally applied 3 coats of Danish oil to finish. Quite pleased with this one, although I'm noticing the light in these pictures really highlights a few deficiencies. Oh well. :redface:

Seeing these pictures reminds me I need to thank Remo for his stellar how-to for making pitch bowl supports, couldn't have done it without that thread! :Peace:
Michael C

Postby Dave J » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 pm

nice work @Michael C! yep, big scrolls are killer, forge on!
islandblacksmith.ca | instagram | vimeo
titaniumoysteronaskateboard
Dave J

Postby Mac » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Love it :clap:
Mac

Postby Marcus » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Wow! Really sweet bench!!! :cloud9:
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Marcus :biggrin:
Marcus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Dave J » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:13 am

time for an update as the shop is getting crowded and cluttered with raw materials...

uncropped version: http://islandblacksmith.ca/bio/

workshop tour: http://islandblacksmith.ca/forge/

works in progress: http://instagram.com/islandblacksmith/
Dave J

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:34 pm

One of my favourite places to work - seasonal obviously and only for limited things. But hard to beat it for space! My other space is my garage, but sadly, its too much of a mess to show :redface:
Attachments
06 copy.jpg
Steve

Postby Chris Tr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Here is my new workbench.
Attachments
bench.jpg
Chris Tr

Postby jhobson » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:56 am

Same story as last year. Not much progress in making, but yet more tools. I think I'm just about out of space now.
Attachments
IMG_7344.JPG
jhobson
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Steve » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Working on a proper bench. Taking advantage of the pleasant time of year to work outside, I dug out enough "scrap" wood to build dedicated bench (based on designs posted here and elsewhere). This is a definite function over appearance effort as all the wood is going to be left unfinished. Also, the bench will be knock down (hopefully, not fall down while in use :pray: ) for storage or portability, so the top will lift off and the left and right sides can be separated (the rear stretchers will have wedged through tenons). The top is made from a hollow core door so I had to glue in some wood where the cut-out is. The pics show progress over a few weeks.
Attachments
PICT0002 copy.JPG
PICT0005 copy.JPG
PICT0006 copy.JPG
PICT0010 copy.JPG
Steve

Postby Steve » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Progress,...
PICT0015 copy.jpg

Now I need to come up with an arrangement for mounting a bench pin.
Steve

Postby Dave J » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:54 pm

finally got to a good organizing and cleaning of the workshop...had to fit in the new prototype fuigo (box bellows)...
inaugural firing below (click the photo to go to the video):

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXlG_T1QNQk[/youtube] ...not sure why this is not working, admins tasukete kudasai...

or watch it via vimeo: http://islandblacksmith.ca/2015/07/sounds-of-the-workshop-night-session/
more photos of the fuigo: http://islandblacksmith.ca/2015/06/why-you-need-a-swordsmiths-fuigo-box-bellows/

workshop tour: http://islandblacksmith.ca/forge/
in other news: http://islandblacksmith.ca/news/
Dave J

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 pm

So far it hasn't fallen apart :clap:
Attachments
PICT0015.jpg
PICT0015.jpg (94.85 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Steve

Postby Albert R » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:01 am

In my bedroom!
I have a three car garage, uncharitably called the "Garage of Doom." It's packed to the rafters with everything except the proverbial kitchen sink.
My neighbors asked me if I wanted this lovely workbench, to which I happily replied, "Hell yeah!" It's about four foot long and two deep.
It has a fluorescent light and I've added two Ikea LED desk lamps. The LED lamps can be positioned at any angle, distance, or height from the work and allows me to see quite clearly.
My bench pin is a piece of oak pallet with the notch and circle cut out. The circle is 11/16th diameter, which happily is exactly the right size for a scratch awl to drop in and act as a stop for anything I need to brace. That pallet yielded a bunch of slats that are rock hard. I can extend the board forwards or backwards depending on need. I need to further refine the pin assembly to better suit my ergonomics.
To the right front is a piece of granite countertop that I use for sanding. A little 3M spray adhesive and the paper sticks. You can get those pieces at any countertop cutting place. The cutouts they create when they cut out the sink make a great pseudo surface plate; obviously not certified, but flat enough you won't know the difference!
The little rainbow cabinet right rear holds some art supplies, and measuring tools. Right of center you can see my proof of concept file rack. I posted something about that just a minute ago. I also keep a pack of chalk handy for my files.
On the pegboard are saws, optivisors, and odds and ends. I hate the stupid hooks they sell for pegboards. they fall out if you look at them wrong! There has to be a better way short of making French cleats and bolting them in place.
I keep my precision measuring tools in their cases in the front drawer, along with my consumables like sandpaper and saw blades.
I have to vacuum every time I do anything as I am on carpeting, and by the way, mineral spirits will take almost 90% of the Dykem out of the carpeting...
The moral there is you should not work on carpeting, get one of those vinyl things for under your work area!
I'm looking for a small steel shelving unit to hold my stock materials. I've been purchasing 1018 for my tsubas, W1 for some Tagane, brass and German silver sheets, and 1/4 inch copper plate for the future.

Thanks!
Albert
Albert R

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Albert, that is way too neat and tidy :naughty:
Steve

Postby Albert R » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:07 am

Steve,
I cleaned up for the photo shoot! But I do hang up everything when I'm done, and I try to keep it somewhat presentable. Too easy for it to accumulate everything from keys, to a neighbor's cat if I don't keep up with it! :biggrin:

My other bench id 16 feet long and there is not a square foot available on it at this moment!

thanks!
Albert
Albert R

PreviousNext

Return to Materials, Tools and Supplies